After writing about a novel I don't like I thought I'd include a list of my favorite novelists
- C.J. Samson--series on a hunchbacked lawyer during the reign of King Henry the Eighth- One of the best is 'Revelation'. Excellent at presenting a physically unappealing character and making him very lovable.
-Jacqueline Winspear--series on a woman P.I. between the world wars in England- First novel in the series is 'Maisie Dobbs'. She has enlightened me about this very important period and does it in a compelling way.
-Val McDermid--a series featuring a police inspector and a criminal profiler set in modern day England- on the hard bitten side- One of the best 'The Last Temptation'- heavy forensic psychological edge.
-Minette Walters--individual suspense/detective novels set in modern day England- all very different with a hard edge. 'The Ice House' is one of the best.
-Kate Morton- writes novels set in modern day and the 19th century. Only two so far: 'The Forgotten Garden' and 'A House at Riverton'. Some gothic elements but the romance in both is done with a very light brush. You get lost in them.
All these are authors who have written novels in the last couple of years. I didn't include more famous writers or the classic authors that I love.
I felt the need to put out good vibes for good novels. There are a lot of them.
Subscribe to:
Post Comments (Atom)
1 comment:
Hmm. Haven't run across any of those. May have to check them out.
FYI, although I had some of the same issues with Time Traveler's Wife, I overall liked it. And I usually have a problem with anything time travel related. But I loved pondering the question of just because one of them already experienced a part of their life together, did that mean the other couldn't change it if it was still in his/her future? And if so, is that how Fate works? Are we all trapped in a particular timeline?
Post a Comment