Friday, November 19, 2010

Thank you Umberto Eco

I've been struggling with my new novel, as some of you know. I read Sophie Kinsella's novel, "Remember Me?". Sorry to the people who recommended it to me. It was entertaining but no help with my amnesiac protagonist. So, I just struggled along until I started "The Mysterious Flame of Queen Loana" by Umberto Eco. I'm listening to it now but within two chapters, I got an idea on how to fix my novel. Umberto Eco is the king of literary allusion. In this novel, the main character has amnesia but total amnesia of his own personal past. However, he remembers massive amounts of everything he's ever read. This has nothing to do with my novel. But the way he imagines his main character and the thoughts Yambo has from the first moment he opened his eyes is brilliant. Of course, it's Umberto Eco.

No comments: