Saturday, November 22, 2008
Alchemist's Daughter by Katharine McMahon
I'm not quite done with the "Alchemist's Daughter" but it's inspired me to write this blog on it. It's the first fiction book I've listening to at work in a long time and it has made the days fly by. I'm really impressed with this work. It's got all the elements I love: history, heretical ideas (but past the inquisition era), romance and unforgettable characters. McMahon writes in first person and that is necessary to the novel, I think. It enables the reader to only see the situation through the main character's eyes, so when we finally get to see things through her father's eyes, it's a true revelation. I think writing in first person is intriguing because that, of course, is how we all experience life. It takes talent not to make first person too narrow and this author manages it, actually uses that narrowness to advance the plot. That's because seeing things only from her point of view is the main problem in the story. And really it's the main problem for a lot of life, isn't it? It's a lovely story.
Subscribe to:
Post Comments (Atom)
1 comment:
Very good point, Marie. It's one of the reasons I don't get a blanket "Don't use first person!" edict. Sometimes it doesn't work, sometimes it does.
My current NaNo project is in first person for just the reasons you state. This 12-year-old boy is not mature enough to know what is really going on around him. And that's what's going to be a huge problem for him later. In third person, it would feel like a cheat not to reveal the whole truth. From Wardell's view, it's perfectly logical.
Post a Comment