Tuesday, October 14, 2008

Tell all the Truth but tell it slant-

Tell all the Truth but tell it slant-
Success in Circuit lies
Too bright for our infirm Delight
The Truth's superb surprise

Emily Dickinson

One of my favorite poems and very apt for my current situation with my Darkwing story. It's an allegorical representation of my early teenage life. Not so anyone would recognize from the outside, even someone that knows me very well. And it's just pieces of me, not all of my teenaged self. I suspected it starting out but now it's becoming clearer. The nice part is that no one would recognize the allegorical elements but me. Well, I've told you guys now but you didn't know me then so it doesn't count.

4 comments:

Minion GIR said...

There's a saying that all fiction is biographical. Eh, not sure I buy that completely, but sometimes we do put more of ourselves into our work than we intended. Not that it's a bad thing. It may be what differentiates (wow, that looks like a wrong spelling) one work from the next.

And, as the author, you can always deny or admit to what you want to.

Minion GIR said...

So, did you actually adopt a baby Wingon? :-D

Marie D-W said...

No- I wish- that would make a great conversation starter at cocktail parties! I'm afraid the wingon is allegorical as well. What a shame. (But who knows what the government is up to)

Jenny Maloney said...

Actually, your story seems a literal interpretation of my teenage years. Ah, the good times.