Saturday, July 25, 2009

First Draft Finished!

I almost didn't think it was a big deal when I finished the first draft of Darkwing tonight. Because I have finished a first draft of a novel before- the Monk's Sister. But then I realized that this is the first time I've finished a first draft of a novel when its been critiqued all the way through. So, it's a big deal. I'm not sure what I feel. I certainly have a lot of work ahead of me. It'll take me months to edit it. But I want to start something else in the meantime. I don't feel ready to go back to the Monk's Sister. Frankly, it's too hard. I need something else easy to write, like Darkwing. Does that mean that I'm a wimp, I don't know. I'm reading "The Year of Wonders" and it's shown me just how much research I have yet to do on "The Monk's Sister". But listen to me- already worrying when I should celebrate for a little while at least. First draft done!

3 comments:

Ali said...

Whoo-hoo! Go Marie!

Debbie said...

Absolutely celebrate. That's a huge accomplishment. And it's just as big for the second, third, fourth and eightieth (let's all hope for ourselves) book.

Good on ya.

Unknown said...

I don't think it's wimpy. I think there's a lot can be learned from the "easy" stuff. If you have to do less research then you can concentrate more on honing story-telling skills, like scene setting and character development. Structural things. There's still a lot of work in "easy" stuff.