Wednesday, August 13, 2008
Guilty Pleasures
Got your attention? Well, nothing salacious here . Anyway, I was thinking of all the romance novels I read in my teens and early twenties (thus the title of the blog). What a waste of time, but I wonder if those bodice rippers ruined me from ever writing a good love scene. Not an explicit one of course but a good one. I'm getting close to needing to do that in one of my novels and it scares me. On the other hand, I don't want to just skip over it just because I dread it. I wonder if this is the most difficult things to write well and oddly enough the most written about. What do you all think? I heard comedy is the most difficult. And it is difficult for me, which I know from my limited experience with the round story. Maybe you are all writing love scenes and not submitting them to the group (except Ali the brave). Any tips?
Subscribe to:
Post Comments (Atom)
2 comments:
Good question, Marie. I'm pretty bad at them myself.
I think the main thing is to not get too caught up in the physical part and to concentrate more on the emotional aspect. And not have everything be perfect. It might have been Princess Daisy by Judith Krantz--back quite a ways in that early twenties reading lots of romances stage. Anyway, in the middle of a romantic encounter, Daisy passes gas. It was hysterical and the characters thought so too. Made it much more believable and, therefore, sexier in a way.
Good luck. Just writing one is a win. Remember it can always be fixed later.
I think the trick is to keep real with the characters. How would these guys act in bed? Because, surprise!, not everyone does behave the same. If you're true to the characters then the scene should write itself--just don't be shy about the S-E-X stuff. It's a very intimate look into these characters and their love (non-love?) for each other. Sometimes it's just a good way for the reader to invest in them--passing gas and stuff are fun additions (I mean, if you break wind and they love you anyway??? Now that's love).
Post a Comment