In the book The Looming Tower, Lawrence Wright talks about the Taliban and how they had no real interest in governing but they only had a quest for purity that overtakes everything. I thought about this quest for purity and then I heard about an instance at a library where a patron became incensed that some objectionable book about gay couples came up in a search for an American president. The first and last names of the president were in the record separately of the objectionable book as authors. This patron did not want to have to even see the title of this book in her search and the library should do something about this. This seems like the quest for purity as well.
I've been guilty of this as well, especially in protecting my child from the world. But as adults, how much can we expect the world to shift around so that we can see only purity and innocence. I once told someone in my family that a book I was reading was disturbing and she said, "I don't like to be disturbed." This in turn disturbed me as I don't feel that way anymore. I figure no matter how horrendous the situation in the book, or on the news is, if the person/s going through it can survive it, I can deal with just hearing about it.
Anyway, instead of the quest for purity that the extremists of any religion strives for, it's the quest for truth that I value. But I do realize that diving headlong into the addictive pursuits is a distraction at best from the real quest.
Subscribe to:
Post Comments (Atom)
2 comments:
Along similar lines, I think it's important to realize that we can't be exposed only to opinions or situations that we can control or that we can enjoy 100% of the time. We just have to know how to deal with it and form our opinions of it when it comes.
Like the protecting your child thing. I would love it if my children never hurt or cried and I want them to always, always be happy. That's not gonna happen. The best I can do is help them figure out how to deal with emergencies when they happen, how to deal with people they disagree with (and who disagree with them), and how to do the best they can with what they're given. I don't think we should be afraid of what we're disturbed by...we should be willing to do our best to deal with it.
I agree, teaching your child how to deal with people that disagree with them is very important. It's that tolerance thing.
Post a Comment